Some people find that just imagining themselves relaxing is actually creating tension. A different technique is to try progressive relaxation which helps you relax by tightening and relaxing different muscle groups in your body. Below is an example using your feet.
- Sit comfortably.
- Flex your toes towards your head.
- Feel the tension that occurs in your feet, ankles, and lower legs.
- Pay close attention to the feelings of tightness and tension. Hold for 10 seconds.
- Relax your feet and let them return to their normal positions.
- Feel the difference in your feet angles and lower legs where it was tense there is now a feeling of relaxation.
Tip: you can do this with your entire body, making your way from your feet all the way up to your head.